For the past ten years, my brother, my Dad, and I have traveled to Alaska to go fishing for Salmon, Halibut, and other big fish from the ocean. Until this year, we had never seen or heard of the Daiwa Tanacom 1000 – an electric reel! Although I held out and preferred the manual route to fishing, my brother, brother-in-law, and my Dad all jumped at the chance to save themselves from 400+ feet of tough labor to reel in a very large halibut (Dad caught a 100 lb fish).
What I realized is that the Daiwa Tanacom 1000 (One-Click to reel 375 feet of line in) is like One-Click Conversations from ScaleX.
How so? In today’s B2B selling motion, it takes about 20 – 100 dials to have a conversation with a decision maker, or about 50 – 60 minutes. Much like fishing, it takes a long time!
What is the value of an Electric Reel?
- Catch your limit! Black cod goes for $50 per pound and we caught about 8 of them in 60 minutes – 25 pounds of fish x $50 = $1,250. Halibut cost about $20 – $30 per pound and we caught our limit (4) in a few hours. 4 x 10 pounds of meat = 40 pounds x $30 = $1,200. Without the electric reel, we might have caught half of that amount.
- Reduced fatigue! When we landed back home in Denver, I asked my Dad – how’s your shoulder. He said, “it’s not the shoulder, it’s the thumb from turning on the electric reel”, smile…
- It’s more fun! The fun of bringing in a big fish is finally seeing what you caught. For example, my manual reel turned up a 150-pound “skate”, the biggest one our captain had ever seen. It took me 20 – 30 minutes to get that thing up, only to turn around and let the ugly thing go. It would have taken the electric reel about 90 – 120 seconds. Although the waiting (and the workout) wasn’t a bad thing, if catching great fish is the goal, it certainly wasn’t the most efficient (or the most fun) to manually reel in a fish, when the electric reel could have done the job 10X faster.
One-Click Conversations are similar:
- Catch your limit – Why talk to 1-2 prospects/day when you can talk to 20 – 30?
- Reduced fatigue – Why burn out your reps on navigating phone trees?
- It’s more fun – The best reps love to talk to more prospects.
The moral – Electric reels are available and produce 2-3X yield. One-Click Conversations are available and produce 2-3X yield. Stay old-school or catch more fish, your decision.